We can’t tell you how much we are looking forward to the release of the new GameGadget console next month.
For those of you that haven’t heard of this new device here’s the lowdown:
Its being billed as the ‘Go Anywhere – Play Everything’ games console and the ‘iPod for games’. It has been created (unlike open source handhelds like the GP2X, Wiz and Canoo) to be a platform for the legitimate (legal!) use of game ROMs. It will utilise it’s own iTunes-like software service called GameGadgetGames and will enable the purchase and download of legal versions of your favourite games.
The GameGadget will be capable of playing over 100,000 classic games titles over various platforms from early retro games through to more recent offerings. The unit will also be a multimedia device capable of storage and playback of video, audio, ebooks and images.
The device will accept SD cards to expand its internal memory allowing you to carry and store thousands of games in your pocket.
Hardware specs (from GameGadget website):
- CPU core: 433mhz dual core CPU
- Internal Ram: 64MB RAM / 2GB Flash RAM
- Input: D-Pad, 2 shoulder, 4 face, Start, Select & Reset buttons
- Outputs: Stereo Speakers, Headphones Jack & TV-out
- Display: 3.5” LCD
- Screen Resolution: 320 x 240 pixels resolution (16 BIT colour)
- Battery: Li-Ion (rechargeable)
- Additional Storage: SD/SDHC
- Connectivity: Micro USB
- Dimensions: 140 W x 75 H x 16 D (mm)
As soon as we get hold of one we will be reviewing it right here so watch this space…
(Edit: Although we were promised a review unit by Blaze Europe, they never actually sent one – hence no review, sorry!)
Pricing is £99.99 and according to the Game Gadget website will be released on March 31st 2012.